NIGERIA - COACH - AMODU AIMS TO TURN AROUND NIGERIA'S FORTUNE

Amodu replaced Stephen Keshi last week, after he paid the price for Nigeria's poor qualifying campaign so far.

22 Oct 2014
2015 AFRICA CUP - CAF - EBOLA AND NATIONS CUP - SOUTH AFRICA RULE OUT BEING 2015 HOSTS

South African sports minister Fikile Mbalula has stated the country will not step in as hosts for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations if Morocco withdraws.

20 Oct 2014
NIGERIA - COACH - ENYEAMA 'SHOCKED' BY TIMING OF KESHI'S REMOVAL

Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama expressed his surprise that the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) decided to replace coach Stephen Keshi barely a month before the side's final two African Nations Cup qualifiers.

18 Oct 2014
2015 AFRICA CUP QUALIFIERS - GROUP STAGE - 4TH MATCHES - ALGERIA AND CAPE VERDE QUALIFY

Algeria and Cape Verde became the first teams to qualify for January's Africa Cup of Nations finals in Morocco.

18 Oct 2014
2015 AFRICA CUP - CAF - SOUNDS OUT ALTERNATIVE HOST OPTIONS

The Confederation of African Football has approached Ghana and South Africa about hosting the 2015 Nations Cup.

17 Oct 2014
2015 AFRICA CUP QUALIFIERS - GROUP STAGE - 4TH MATCHES - ALL RESULTS

Cameroon on verge of qualification - Cameroon took a huge step towards qualification with a 2:0 victory over Sierra Leone on Wednesday.

16 Oct 2014
2015 AFRICA CUP QUALIFIERS - GROUP STAGE - 4TH MATCHES - PREVIEW

Algeria will qualify, if they beat Malawi today, while wins for Cameroon and South Africa will put them within touching distance.

15 Oct 2014
2015 AFRICA CUP QUALIFIERS - ZAMBIA - GROUP STAGE - 4TH MATCHES - KATONGO THROWN OUT OF SQUAD

The former BBC African Footballer of the Year was captain in 2012 when Zambia caused an upset to win the Nations Cup in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

14 Oct 2014

NATIONAL League - Angola stadium stampede in Uige kills 17 people

At least 17 people have been killed in a stampede at a football stadium in the northern Angolan city of Uige, local officials say.

Hundreds more were reported to have been injured when supporters stormed the gates after failing to gain entry.

Some of those who fell became trapped and suffocated at the venue on Friday, a medical official said.

Witnesses said the crowd trying to gain access would have taken the stadium past its 8,000 capacity.

Santa Rita de Cassia were hosting Recreativo do Libolo in a first division league match.

"Some people had to walk on top of other people. 

There were 76 casualties, of whom 17 died," Ernesto Luis, director general of the local hospital, told Reuters news agency.

Five of the injured are reported to be in serious condition.

Angolan and Portuguese media report that some of the dead are children.

A statement on Recreativo de Libolo's website called it "a tragedy without precedent in the history of Angolan football".

Supporter Domingos Vika, 35, said that the entrance was already overcrowded when more people began pouring in to the stadium.

"When they gave the opportunity for everyone to come in, we were all packed at the gate," said Mr Vika, who left the venue with a broken hand.

Angola's President Jose Eduardo dos Santos has ordered an investigation into the incident, local media report.

The game ended in a 0:1 defeat for the home side, Santa Rita de Cassia.

 

 

11 Feb 2017
(BBC Sport UK)

Related countries

Related articles