BALLON D’OR - PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2015 - Toure on list

Yaya Toure is on the 23-man Ballon d'Or shortlist.

25 Oct 2015
NATIONAL TEAM - NIGERIA - Emenike's retirement shocks Oliseh

Emmanuel Emenike's retirement shocks Sunday Oliseh.

23 Oct 2015
U-17 WORLD CUP 2015 - Nigeria - GROUP STAGE - the Golden Eaglets' Nigeria advance to last 16

Reigning champions Nigeria thrashed hosts Chile 5:1 to book their place in the last 16.

22 Oct 2015
U-17 WORLD CUP 2015 - Nigeria - GROUP STAGE - 'the Golden Eaglets' begin U-17 defence with a win

'The Golden Eaglets' began the defence of their Fifa Under-17 World Cup crown with a 2:0 victory.

20 Oct 2015
U-17 WORLD CUP 2015 - Pressure to win nothing new to African sides

Four nations will represent Africa at the Fifa Under-17 World Cup finals in Chile.

19 Oct 2015
WORLD CUP 2018 QUALIFIERS - AFRICA - 2nd round - preview

2018 World Cup second round qualifiers.

16 Oct 2015
WORLD CUP 2018 QUALIFIERS - AFRICA - 1st ROUND - 2nd leg - all results

Chad and Comoros with shock wins.

15 Oct 2015
CAF Player of the Year - Toure in frame for fifth title

Yaya Toure has been included on an initial list of 37 names.

14 Oct 2015
WORLD CUP 2018 QUALIFIERS - AFRICA - 1st ROUND - 2nd leg - so far

Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya go through.

13 Oct 2015

FIFA - CANDIDATE Michael van Praag out of election

Fifa presidential candidate Michael van Praag has withdrawn from the election, leaving only two people rivalling the incumbent Sepp Blatter.

Van Praag, 67, who is president of the Dutch football federation, says he will support Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein of Jordan in the election on 29 May.

Former Portugal midfielder Luis Figo, 42, is the third man in the election.

Blatter, 79, is expected to win a fifth presidential term and remain in charge of world football's governing body.

Each of Fifa's 209 member associations have a vote in the election with the Football Association intending to support Prince Ali, although the Scottish FA had previously said they would back Van Praag.

Van Praag is expected to give his reasons from withdrawing from the election at a news conference at 19:00 BST.

His withdrawal comes after another presidential candidate, Frenchman Jerome Champagne, a former Fifa deputy general secretary, pulled out in February.

Former Tottenham and Newcastle midfielder David Ginola, backed by a betting company, originally announced his intention to stand against Blatter in January, but withdrew two weeks later.

The vote will be held in Zurich at Fifa's annual congress and requires the winning candidate to secure a two-thirds majority in the first round of voting.

If subsequent rounds are required then a simple majority is all that is required for victory.

 

21 May 2015
(BBC Sport UK)

Related articles