BALLON D’OR - PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2015 - Toure on list

Yaya Toure is on the 23-man Ballon d'Or shortlist.

25 Oct 2015
NATIONAL TEAM - NIGERIA - Emenike's retirement shocks Oliseh

Emmanuel Emenike's retirement shocks Sunday Oliseh.

23 Oct 2015
U-17 WORLD CUP 2015 - Nigeria - GROUP STAGE - the Golden Eaglets' Nigeria advance to last 16

Reigning champions Nigeria thrashed hosts Chile 5:1 to book their place in the last 16.

22 Oct 2015
U-17 WORLD CUP 2015 - Nigeria - GROUP STAGE - 'the Golden Eaglets' begin U-17 defence with a win

'The Golden Eaglets' began the defence of their Fifa Under-17 World Cup crown with a 2:0 victory.

20 Oct 2015
U-17 WORLD CUP 2015 - Pressure to win nothing new to African sides

Four nations will represent Africa at the Fifa Under-17 World Cup finals in Chile.

19 Oct 2015
WORLD CUP 2018 QUALIFIERS - AFRICA - 2nd round - preview

2018 World Cup second round qualifiers.

16 Oct 2015
WORLD CUP 2018 QUALIFIERS - AFRICA - 1st ROUND - 2nd leg - all results

Chad and Comoros with shock wins.

15 Oct 2015
CAF Player of the Year - Toure in frame for fifth title

Yaya Toure has been included on an initial list of 37 names.

14 Oct 2015
WORLD CUP 2018 QUALIFIERS - AFRICA - 1st ROUND - 2nd leg - so far

Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya go through.

13 Oct 2015

NATIONAL TEAM - SIERRA LEONE - COACH - NORTHERN IRISH COACH JOHNNY McKINSTRY SACKED

AFRICA CUP 2015 QUALIFIERS

Northern Irishman Johnny McKinstry has been sacked as coach of Sierra Leone, six months after he was given the job on a permanent basis.

His dismissal comes after defeats at the hands of Ivory Coast and DR Congo in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers earlier this month.

The results leave them bottom of Group D of the Nations Cup qualifiers without a single point so far.

Acting director of sports at the Sierra Leone sports ministry Saidu Mansaray told BBC Sport that McKinstry has been fired because of the poor results.

He added the decision was taken jointly by the ministry and the country's football association.


McKinstry's record as coach of Sierra Leone:

Played: 8x
Won: 3x (vs Equatorial Guinea, Swaziland, Seychelles)
Lost: 3x (vs Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, DR Congo)
Drew: 2x (vs Tunisia, Swaziland)

 

The 29-year-old was first appointed as caretaker coach of Leone Stars in April last year during the qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup, following the resignation of Swede Lars Olof Mattson.

McKinstry has expressed his sadness over the sacking.

"I'm very disappointed because we were moving in the right direction," he told BBC Sport.

"We were developing a team over the last 17 months and the future was bright."

"Poor preparation is the significant factor why we lost to both Ivory Coast and DR Congo. 

We had no time to prepare mainly due to long periods of travelling.

"I'm sure if had I continued as coach of the team we would have improved."

Sierra Leone's preparations for their opening Nations Cup qualifiers were hit by the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the country.

First the Confederation of African Football ruled they were not allowed to host their home qualifiers.

After being turned down by Ghana they were eventually forced to play their "home" tie against DR Congo in the Congolese city of Lubumbashi.

Ivory Coast's government only gave the go-ahead for Sierra Leone to play in Abidjan four days before their qualifier was due to be played.

After the 2:1 loss in Abidjan the Leone Stars then endured a trip of almost 48 hours to get to Lubumbashi for their second tie, which they lost 2:0.

McKinstry will continue to manage the Craig Bellamy Football academy on the outskirts of Freetown.

Local media are tipping Ghana-born former Sierra Leone international Atto Mensah, who is currently based in the Netherlands, to be named as his replacement.

18 Sep 2014
(BBC Sport, Freetown / by Mohamed Fajah Barrie)

Related countries

Related articles